Peter Condemns the Vatican (“Catholic Church”)
Was Peter the first Pope? No, never. When you study Peter's writings you discover that Peter was against everything the Roman Catholic church teaches, and Peter said it 255 years before they existed. The Catholic church hopes you won't read Peter's writings too. Because they do not want to get caught telling big lies. Let's read what Peter taught and see what you think. If you read our Bible study about Paul, you know that 1st Timothy 4:1-3 was a direct prophecy about the Roman Catholic church. I’m not saying that 1st Peter 4:3-5 and 2nd Peter 2:1-22 are directly a prophecy about them. But it is interesting to see how many times the Roman Catholic church violate Peter's teachings.
1st Peter 4:3-5 Gentile sinners “have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles – when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries. In regard to these, the pagans think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you. They will give an account to Jesus who is ready to judge the living and the dead” That condemns the leaders of the Catholic church too. This Passage condemns the Catholic church in many ways
(1) “lewdness, lusts” describes their priests and leaders. The new students in training to become priests, are molested by the older students and teachers. If they stay at that school, those sexual sins will happen to the many times. If they stay at that school, it proves that they accept those sins as OK.
(2) “drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties” it is hard to find a priest that doesn't drink and get drunk. Drinking helps them drown their conscience. They drink and party together excluded from you, because that would be detrimental to donations.
(3) “abominable idolatries” The Catholic church has been known for their statues of Greek and Roman gods from their beginning, and images of great saints. They even encourage parishioners to pray to dead saints, which is forbidden in the old Testament.
(4) “In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you.” In their private conversations, they criticize those who are trying to live right for God and try to trap gullible Christians into sins like they are doing.
(5) “They will give an account to Jesus who is ready to judge the living and the dead” Jesus also warned about that in Mark 4:22 “For there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed, nor has anything been kept secret but that it should come to light...”Luke quoted Jesus from another sermon on the same subject. Jesus taught in Luke 12:3 “therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops.” Americans might not understand that phrase, but in the evening the Jews would sit on their roofs to cool off, and they would share stories they heard in the market place, and in the neighborhood with neighbors from housetop to housetop. At the judgment God will reveal every secret of people, about like the Jews did in days of old from house top to housetop. At God's judgment everyone will see all of the evil things done in secret, including what evil priests say and do.
Let's look at 2nd Peter 2:1-22, it's a long text and I hope you read it soon, but here I’m only quoting the most condemning phrases
(6) “there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies” There are many Bible Passages that the Roman Catholics won't teach. And they invent evil doctrines like purgatory. Research and look for what verses the Roman Catholics uses to teach purgatory – they have none. They are actually quoting doctrines of demons found in Greek mythology, specifically the Greek “god” Hades. If you want to avoid an argument by asking them to prove it, then go online and find out what they say and why.
(7) “even denying the Lord who bought them” Because they will not personally read and obey Jesus, they deny Jesus' authority over themselves personally. They claim that Jesus saved them, but they reject Jesus' authority over them, which means they are not saved as Jesus taught in Matthew 7:13-14 and Matthew 7:21-23 among other passages.
(8) “and bring on themselves swift destruction” God gave John that prophecy in Revelation 17 when Jesus destroys the Roman Catholic church, and Revelation 19:1-21 when Jesus wars against every evil person still alive.
(10) “And many will follow their destructive ways, because of them, the way of truth will be blasphemed.” Do you realize how many people quit caring about God's truth because of those evil priests? God will judge those judge those evil “priests”, they are not priests of God.
(11) “With covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words.” Peter is saying those false teachers know they are being deceptive and they are doing it for your money.
(12) “for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.” That point is to add emphasis to the verses in point (8) God's judgment is already planned by God.
(13)Verses 4-8 explains how God already took action against the most evil demons – locked them up, and then killed the devil worshipers with the flood, and God burned Sodom and Gomorrah as a sign and warning of the final judgment. God will protect His own people who get saved through a salvation covenant in Jesus, and protect them from that judgment.
(14) God in his righteous judgment knows how “to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment, and especially those who walk... in the lust of uncleanness.”
(15)”and despise authority” That is a big insult to God their Creator when evil people despise God's authority.
(16) “they are presumptuous and self willed” You can find a detailed list of their evil agendas in Romans 1:28-32; “being filled all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness, full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness, , they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful.” One outstanding note about “disobedient to parents” If they had ever repented to get saved, then that would have been erased. That is proof that these persons never got saved, and they are not ready to get saved.
(17) “like natural brute beasts made to be caught and destroyed, they speak evil of things they do not understand, and will utterly perish in their own corruption, and will receive the wages of unrighteousness.” Don't be like them, and do not think they will get away with their evil. God is recording everything they do in books Revelation 20:12-13 “I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened... were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books... And they were judged each according to his works.”
(18) “as those who count it pleasure to to carouse in the daytime. They are spots and blemishes, carousing in their own deceptions while they feast with you, having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin, enticing unstable souls.” Have you watched them around a group of people, watch their eyes, you can see them lusting, just like Peter is condemning them for.
(19) They have a heart trained in covetousness practices, and are accursed children.” This warning about their greed leads into the next point.
(20) “They have forsaken the right way and gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness...” The king Balak, King of Moab, offered Balaam lots of money and lots of honor if Balaam, the Gentile prophet, would curse Israel. It's a long and interesting story in Numbers 22:1 to 24:25, Balaam sought God's advice and couldn't use God's blessing to curse Israel, so he advised king Balak to send prostitutes into Israel. He got a large amount of money from king Balak. There are two points Peter is warning about, sexual sins and don't curse Israel. The Roman Catholic church is very busy trying to take over Jerusalem, to exploit it for their greed. For a long time they have wanted to control Jerusalem.
(21) “These are wells without water, clouds carried by a tempest... For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness...” typical of false teachers, they try to sound intelligent and important, but they are liars and they create many contradictions.
(22) “they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness...” Evil people have two common motives; greed and sexual sins.
(23) They aim to confuse and and trample on the innocent and simple minded “the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error. While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption.” False teachers make up nice empty words, and aiming for the simple minded. The clever liars sound like they have freedom, and they promote their idea of freedom, but God calls their evil as bondage to sin and judgment.
(24) A warning to the innocent, if they fall for an evil person's tricks “by whom a person is overcome, by him he is also brought into bondage.” What ever measure of their tricks you fall for, you are in a measure of their bondage, or a large measure of their bondage.
(25) Another warning for the simple minded; “after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, if they are again entangled and overcome” If you gave your life to Jesus because you know this world is evil, don't go back to living for evil. If you see yourself falling backward, pray urgently, ask God to get you away from evil. God likes to answer those prayers.
Do you have any Catholic friends? We know you care about them. Please make copies of this Bible study and share with all of your friends. You have our permission to share it on your Face-book page, and you can send it to all of your friends for free. We give you permission to make copies of this Bible study and share it with your friends. God bless for caring about your Catholic friends. Share this Bible study with God's love in your life, and receive God's blessings.